"Come!" say the Spirit and the Bride.
Whoever hears, echo, "Come!"
Is anyone thirsty? Come!
All who will, come and drink,
Drink freely of the Water of Life!

Revelation 22:17 MSG


Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Gospel Bliss

"Jesus, seeing that everything had been completed so that the Scripture record might also be complete, then said, 'I'm thirsty.' A jug of sour wine was standing by. Someone put a sponge soaked with the wine on a javelin and lifted it to his mouth. After he took the wine, Jesus said, 'It's done...complete.' Bowing his head, he offered up his spirit...The eyewitness to these things has presented an accurate report. He saw it himself and is telling the truth so that you, also, will believe."
John 19:28-30, 35 MSG

The Good News (gospel) that has me captivated is that Jesus' work in his incarnation that culminated in his death on the cross was perfect! There is nothing I have to do to add to it. I am not expected to establish, build or "bring" the Kingdom to earth. Thankfully, Jesus did all of that! All that is left for me to do is to enjoy partaking in the unveiling of what He's already accomplished, with much gladness and gratitude. And really, what I mean by "unveiling" is discovering...because Jesus actually already tore the veil! Discovery and proclamation of what he has unveiled is what is for now and it is a feast of delicacies! What a lucky fortune we've been granted to live in such a blessed age!! The time that the prophets of old hungered and thirsted and longed to see has come and is satisfying, to the point of abundant overflow, all who believe! The time for dim-seeing is past! The cold, dark winter is over! The seeds of Spring are planted and the harvest is here!

I'm so glad that I don't have to make converts, heal the sick, raise the dead or any of that stuff that made me feel so frustrated and like such a failure in the past. I'm free to rest, to dream and to trust my wonderful Father, and from that place of rest will many believe, receive their healing, walk out of their tombs and even greater wonders be done. For this, he has promised.

Jesus said in Luke 17:21 that the kingdom is within you! (How funny that he was speaking to unbelieving Pharisees when he made that bold statement). In like manner, Paul wrote to the Colossians that the mystery, the wonderful secret that was hidden for ages past and has now been revealed is that of Christ in you, hope of glory! You see, my faith doesn't bring something into existence that wasn't already. God's Word actually did that, spoken and manifested. All that my faith does is recognize what was true all along! It opens my eyes to see and ears to hear and my mind to conceive the depth of my Father's love and all of its ramifications. And I become compelled to love him back. I can't help it. I don't choose to love him, but my will just suddenly can't resist him! He's kissed me with the kisses of his mouth and I'm kissing him back! His love is more intoxicating than wine.

Every person I meet, stranger or lifelong friend, I am beginning to love and look upon with amazement! Whether they know it or not, or can believe it or not, they are the temple of the living God. They are my family. I am one with them even as Jesus and my Father, and my Father and me are one. When they hurt, I feel it in my own heart. When they rejoice, my soul thrives off of their ecstasy. There is no more room for envy or hate or personal space or competition.

I eagerly anticipate every man and woman and child coming to see their true life that is hidden in Christ! I have hope, a hope that is far from empty, that every created child of my Father will believe that he loves them and in so doing, will take hold of their fully mature sonship in him, leaving their childish ways behind and embracing their childlikeness that is becoming of a fully grown son or daughter.

This is what the Gospel of Jesus Christ does! It is ruining me for the world systems and the world systems for me! Instead I'm beginning to see Heaven everywhere. He has painted everyone red with his blood, making peace and befriending all of his enemies, delivering them from the sin that once molested them and drove them into the pit of shame and loneliness. Every lost sheep, every lost coin, every lost son-they were only ever lost. Never did they stop belonging to him. If God can be anxious about anything, he's anxious that all of his lost ones would know that they've been found in his Son; that they belong, that they've been rescued, that they are wholly accepted in the Beloved and he rejoices over them in the undignified manner of a dancing child! He cares not that we would consider this an ungodlike thing to do.

Faith in this Gospel has awakened me to the truth that he has successfully sprinkled my conscience clean. His love persuades me that it is safe to draw near to him, to be endeared to him...always. He has freely given me his own heart at the cost of his precious life. Daily, I open the treasure that is buried in my chest, the treasure that is Christ and I marvel! He is my portion. He is yours too.

2 comments:

Luke Beling said...

Andre would like this one.

Unknown said...

haha...well a majority of it is inspired by him and his presentation of the good news. :)